Personal Contract Services

The University’s Materials Management Department has exclusive responsibility for reviewing and executing a Contractual Services Agreement legally binding the University for Personal Services with Independent Contractors.

Examples of Personal Services

  • Performances
  • Speeches
  • Research

Personal Contract Services

To initiate a personal contract services contract you will need access to PORT.  Below is a link with step-by-step instructions for completing the personal service contract request form.

Contract Request for Personal Services Instructions


Once a Personal Services Contract is initiated, Materials Management recommends that the contract be entered into PORT in Contracts Manager.  Materials Management will enter the contract and notify the department when the contract has been established in PORT and is available to pay.  When the department is ready to pay the individual, a Confirming Order Do Not Send requisition is entered into PORT and the Contract is linked.  This eliminates the need to obtain signatures each time the department requests to pay the independent contractor.

  • Non-NC resident individuals/artists providing performances, entertainment, or speeches must be paid via a Contractual Services Payment Request Form and not paid through PORT due to a 4% NC State withholding.

Contractual Services Payment Request Form Instructions